We are developing an advanced nanotechnology to extend our manufacturing capabilities. As an SPM (Scanning Probe Microscopy) Experimentalist, you will be part of the team developing this nanotechnology.
UHV SPM, Ultra High Vacuum Scanning Probe Microscopy, Equipment Construction, Experimental Design, Surface Chemistry, Surface Reaction, Molecular Manipulation, Transfer print patterning, Molecular Deposition.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Workstation Operation and Experimental Design
- Operate SPM hardware and perform process development experiments
- Work with the engineering team to propose, design, construct, and test nanoscale structures and devices
- Rapid learning of the particular technical issues, challenges and solutions associated with this advanced nanotechnology
- Document equipment modifications, experimental parameters, processes, and results
- Assist in the specification and testing for new and upgraded engineering tools
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering or Mathematics and 2 years of UHV scanning probe microscopy experience during the degree, or Master’s in Engineering, Science or Mathematics and 2 years of UHV SPM experience
- Meticulous, conscientious and detail-oriented
- A quick learner
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to obtain a Canadian security clearance is required
Desired Skills and Experience
Each of these is a plus. This list is prioritized.
- Experience with Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) or Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- Experience in Cryogenic UHV experimentation
- Experience in developing and operating a system that was reliant on previously unproven technology
- Experience with Molecular Deposition
- Experience with Molecular Manipulation
- Experience with Transfer Printing
- Experience with automated manufacturing systems
- 1-3 years of Vacuum system work experience
- Demonstrated interest in advanced technology
- Experience with Lean, Agile and/or Scrum
- Experience with programming tools such as Python, C+, C#
- Experience with Confluence and/or Jira
- Experience with micro-robotics, micro-manipulation, and/or micro-assembly
- Experience with MEMS and/or NEMS
- CAD/CAE such as SolidWorks, Catia, Autodesk Inventor, or ProE/Creo
The employee will work primarily at a facility in Ottawa, ON.